TAB 多読 -tadoku and beyond!-  

いっぱい読んでたっぷり聞けば、英語はかって出てきます!

  

2013/11/14

ネタありfree writingもまた一興かも

英語教育に関するブログを彷徨っていたら、思いがけずinspiredされました。
ので、今日はネタありfree writingもどきといってみます。

ネタはこちらの記事です。

It was a big surprise for me that such a widely known, prominent English teacher, at least in some corner of an English education world exclusively in Japan, is writing an essay-in-Japanese sort of article about *cabbage* in *Japanese*.

Oh my my.... I don't know who are the target readers of the blog, but I bet the writer might have been thinking that many of the blog readers are *Japanese* English teachers, thus he shouldn't burden them too much with his superb English writing when the readers, *Japanese* English teachers, have to read lots of English materials every day and every night for their lessons.

I'm quite impressed with his mindfulness and I acknowledged again that it must be the reason of his popularity among *Japanese* English teachers; to not write any blog articles never ever in English?!... Well, I don't know I'm guessing right or not, but anyway the article gave me an inspiration for writing, so I'm going to do some free-writing time now with a topic of cooking.

I'm originally from the area where the writer is living and working, so when I see a word cabbage, my mind can't stop thinking about some dishes; it's Okonomiyaki especially with Sujikon. Yeah!

The dishes with Suji are very popular in Kansai area, I think, and I often boil a chunk of Suji at one time, freeze, and keep it for the latter use. You can make Oden, Okonomiyaki, Nikujyaga, Korokke and many more meals with Suji. Suji is beef, so it's not particularly cheap in Japan compared to other meat like chicken and pork, but still it makes a cost-friendly ingredient. So, I was thinking that dishes with Suji were popular all over Japan.

But it was not. Suji is not that popular as I expected in Tokyo and one of my friends said she had no idea what to do with it. Seriously? I explained to her how to cook Suji, but she didn't seem like particularly being interested in making some dishes with it. I should invite her to my house or an Okonomiyaki restaurant based on Osaka and let her try the exquisite taste of Suji with various kinds of dishes.

In winter, Suji makes a good ingredient for Oden. I honestly don't know how you can cook delicious Oden without putting Suji and boiled octopus in it. How sorrowful and disappointing it could be if I have to make Oden with no Suji or boiled octopus.


It was a free-writing about cooking today and I thought I need to read more articles about cooking if I want to write about dishes. I'm not sure how to say 料理、具材 or how to describe different, various tastes of the dishes. well well... 

(BTW, in case you're a new reader of this blog, please be reminded that I was totally in the mood of mockery and being sarcastic when writing up to around the half of the post. ^^;)
 

10 comments:

  1. The teacher maybe write English articles only when they are used commercially.

    BTW, shredded cabbage is also good for Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki and coleslaw salad. I like both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! galant-san, you got seven *zabuton* for your marvelous Tukkomi! lol That's quite true that writing blog articles in English won't bring any money to the teacher, so he has no particular reason to do so. ^^;

    Are you familiar with Kansai and Chugoku area culture? I'd had Hiroshima-style Okonomi only once or twice and they were not so impressive.... I'd like to eat some really good one with lots of cabbage in it some day. Also the other day I had purple? cabbage coleslaw and that was gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for 7 zabuton! They are too much, I'm afraid.

    Judging from his blog, including his personal history he wrote, and too many numbers of books he published, he seems to love money soooooo much.

    He writes his blog maybe because he wants to use Osaka dialect, his mother tongue, in order to express his thoughts straight. But if he were a true English teacher, he would write his blog in one of appropriate dialects in English language, which can be an equivalent to Osaka dialect.

    BTW, I'm from Iwakuni and Okonomiyaki restaurants there usually serve Hiroshima-style one. So I talked about Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki. Nowadays there're many Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki restaurants in Tokyo. Lemon-ya in Iidabashi is one of them. I hope you'll find a good restaurant of Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki.

    As for purple cabbage coleslaw, I've not heard of it. I'll try it if I have a chance. Thank you for telling me that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi galant-san, Why?! you truly deserve seven Zabuton since you're the first person who wrote Tukkomi, or rather Boke, sort of comment here besides my close friends. Isn't it fun and amazing that we're able to have this pleasant Boke Tukkomi communication even in English. I'd love to see the you-know-who English teacher write some everyday tidbits in his own language which holds the specific nuance of Kansai-ben. BTW, thanks for the info of Lemon-ya. I've not found any good Okonomi in Tokyo yet, so I'll be visiting there one day!

      Delete
    2. Hi Emi-san. I thought seven Zabuton was too much because Utamaru seldom gives more than 2 Zabuton on Shouten and one or two Zabuton is the average number of Zabuton as reward to a good answer. ^^;

      I'm sorry, I didn't know Lemon-ya has changed its name. Lemon-ya is now Momiji-ya in Iidabashi. I remember there're relatively many Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki restaurants in Shimokitazawa.

      Delete
    3. huh? Shimokitazawa... It's been seven years or so since I moved to Tokyo, but I'm still such a newbie that I can't tell where Shimokitazawa exactly is... maybe closer to Shibuya, nor not.... I'd love to to visit the town too. BTW, I've been doing quite busy there days that I'm writing the second ebook now. Also I was asked to tutor some young English learners, so I've got to come up with a plan good for them. I'm just wondering if you know any good Internet sites which you can recommend to Japanese English learners who are into tadoku like approach. Nice day to you galant-san!

      Delete
    4. HI Emi-san, Congraturations! I'm glad to hear you're writing the 2nd ebook! I can't wait for reading it.

      BTW, you may already know Project Gutenberg:

      http://www.gutenberg.org/

      They provide so many ebooks.

      And I'd like to recommend Quadriga:

      http://www.dw.de/program/quadriga/s-7296-9798

      I think for English learners English spoken by European people other than British people, especially English spoken by German people, is easier to listen to than English spoken by American or British people.

      Delete
    5. Hello galant-san, and thank you so very much for providing the site information. Yes, I'm right in the middle of writing/proofing the new ebook and I've totally forgotten the project, Gutenberg. I tend to read modern new stories, so I don't use the site at all, but it should be mentioned in the new book. Also, yes yes! this is the program I've long been looking for; Quadriga. I'd like to listen to the news based on international perspectives and listen to the forum by BBC often, and lately found this interesting, http://rt.com/, but that was all I was about to find. Quadriga is the right one for me. I just started to watch the new story and thought it'll make a good example of the use of English as Lingua franca that the way of speakers' English conversation is clearly different from the one which is done between English native speakers. BTW, do you mind if I recommend the site in the new ebook and mention about you; like one of the ebook readers kindly gave me a info of the site... Hope to hear from you again. Have a nice day!

      Delete
    6. Hi Emi-san

      Of course I don't mind if you mention about me. And it's an honor to be mentioned in your 2nd ebook.

      I'm glad to hear you liked Quadriga and it's one of what you wanted to find. And the following websites can be recommended:

      http://www.aljazeera.com/

      http://en.africav.com/

      Delete
    7. Good! I still have time to make a change to the draft and add a story about you. The links are fab too! There are so many sites that interest me, so it's great to have someone recommend some particular ones. Talk to you again. Miyanishi

      Delete