TAB 多読 -tadoku and beyond!-  

いっぱい読んでたっぷり聞けば、英語はかって出てきます!

  

2012/08/20

Storytelling & Cooperative learning

TED talk : the technology of storytelling 
TED talk : the new power of collaboratioin
Cooperative Learning on wiki

At the beginning of this year, I took a course called Digital Storytelling for Kids with hundreds of educators from all over the world. It was organized by 5 or 6 teachers including Barbara Sakamoto, one of the author of OUP's best seller, Let's Go. She is one of the most active teacher trainer in Teaching English for Young Learners(TEYL) field.

The course was three weeks long with a certain task for each week. It was an online course so that it didn't matter where we were. We had a weekly online meeting but had a small number of attendance.
Educators are busy, aren't they? But we also had mailing list and platform to discuss anything we were interested in regarding TEYL or digital storytelling. The course was inspiring and educational to me because of the contents and participants. Amazingly well-organized contents but the interactions with other participants were just outstandingly inspiring. It is hard to believe that you can get all for free. Thanks to the technology and generosity & passion of all the organizers.

From this experience, I have realized two things : Storytelling (digital or traditional) has so much
potential in education and Cooperative learning is awesome.

I have been a bit of lone wolf. It is just the way I am. I enjoy other's company but not all the time. And I usually find working together with someone is more challenging than working on my own because of potential misunderstanding. However, I am now a strong believer of cooperative learning. In spite of misunderstanding and time-consuming discussion and negotiation, the outcome is priceless. It is empowering for sure.

Why don't you take a look at those ideas here and see what you can do!


2 comments:

  1. I haven't participated any discussion with teachers on the net, but I follow some twitter accounts of teachers all over the world, so I know many teachers vigorously share their thoughts and ideas through various channels these days. They're hungry to look for a better way to educate their children. Sad thing is that I've never met any Japanese know and join those those discussions other than you. What good English really is for Japanese teachers, I often wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... It was really funny that one of the organizer said to me "I am so proud of you." Just because I was the only Japanese ever!!

    "The global English" we used wasn't really authentic one, meaning imperfect in terms of linguistic usage.
    I say "So what!" As long as it is understandable, no worries.

    ReplyDelete