TAB 多読 -tadoku and beyond!-  

いっぱい読んでたっぷり聞けば、英語はかって出てきます!

  

2012/04/15

Why started the blog. Why English.

It's been about a month since we started the blog and I thought it'd be the right time to tell you little bit about why we had to start this blog, why we can't sit back, relax, and continue teaching English like other teachers do.

(So, before I start to write the main part, let me tell you some about my writing.
In this post, I'm going to try to showcase what the, hopefully rich-規格外-English would be like. As for rich-規格外-English, refer to the comments in an old post. I'm not going use any dictionaries or other tools such as google search engine other than a spell-checker. I have a vague idea now what I'm going to tell you, so I just go ahead, like I do when I write a post in Japanese, and see what happens in the end.)

You may have realized if you've read all of our posts up to this that all members in this blog are  serious to give some changes to EFL education in Japan. Yes, it might look outrageous. We're well aware of that. Call us anything you like, challengers, fools, nuts, whatever. Yet, we can't help speaking up and saying loud and clear what we think of about EFL education in every chance we get. Then why? why can't we?

Here is a video I want you to look through. It's not easy if you try to understand every single word. Just grasp the main idea. He uses a picture to explain his idea, so it might not be extremely difficult  for English teachers, I hope.
 
I got to know many English teachers in Japan, from elementary schools to universities. I read some books or magazines about learning English from time to time. However I barely come to see anyone taking about "why" we learn English. Many teachers are busy finding a more effective way to teach English, and theses days many rush to introduce tadoku into their classes. But no one seems to care why we have to study English so hard when it's crystal-clear that it's not that easy for Japanese to be a fluent user of English. Do you yourself use English with ease everyday besides classrooms?

I, now, have a clear idea why I learn English. It's partly for myself and partly for the society.

After realizing the power of tadoku, it's greatly changed my life. Tadoku taught me the way how I can enjoy learning itself and even I can be a happy learner. I can't imagine myself being this fulfilled and inspired if it were not for tadoku. Tadoku taught me everything I was not able to learn at school. I learn English because there is tadoku and it works for wonderfully not only my learning English but all aspects of my life.

And also, this is something I want to emphasize more, that you can do lots of good things to the society too, once you become confident to use English. Everyone can be easily connected to the world on the net now, so you can have many friends all over the world and send them your messages in English. Even the people who've never been to Japan will know who you, Japanese, are from your messages. Chances are that they're going to feel more familiar with the country you live. It could be that you'll make the world more peaceful with your tiny English messages. Isn't it great?          

Tell your students your dream before bothering looking for techniques or methods. They won't listen to you, no matter how good and effective your methods are, unless your concrete message reaches to their minds.

Do start tadoku right away and think yourself why you have to teach English, why it's got to be English.
(Writer:MrsMalone)
  にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ

4 comments:

  1. Hi, MrsMalone.

    Your writings are always quite inspiring. I don't know how much I have been encouraged by your strong, enthusiastic and meaningful messages up until now.
    And I do believe this post is one of the bests!


    Most teachers make their students study English to get the better scores because they think it's their only JOB and teachers themselves don't know the happiness of learning English other than that. What a poor circuit of thought! Why do you think such poor motivation can let students acquire true English proficiency?


    Many English learners would say, "My scores at school got better! I am happy! I'll learn English harder!", "My TOEIC scores got better!" or "Look at me! I passed the 1 grade of Eiken!"


    However, you would realize what shabby matters you had been looking for if you knew the true happiness when you really come to enjoy good communication among people from over the world.



    Before telling students to study English harder, teachers have to think over the true meaning of learning languages from scratch and find the way by themselves which would let their students feel like following them voluntarily!!


    And you know you've done it for me, a lot? Tee-hee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often find myself being bored when I talk with English teachers. They complain a lot about education and they say they've got to do something, something extraordinary... But mostly they just stay there. Nothing inspiring comes out of their mouth.

      But look at those many tadoku lovers. They look always so happy and tell us a lot about which books they enjoyed or who they got to know through SNS.

      It's very difficult to do tadoku lesson when you're not quite sure about the mystique of tadoku. So I hope many teachers would start reading books and realize there are many things they can do even in imperfect situations at school.

      Thank you for always energizing me up with your energetic comments!

      Delete
  2. This is the very thing what we want to say. (I'm one of the writers of this blog.) If you focus on "why" , you'll come to realize what/how to do to teach your students, but otherwise you couldn't get any good results. Most teachers focus on what/how to teach in order to get the result sooner, and the only result for them usually seems to be "score".

    But I must tell you I had been a teacher like that at least until 2010, when I met tadoku. I was a teacher of juku or a cram school for about ten years, so my job was raising the students' test scores literally. But I was always feeling something was different. I would often say to myself, "Is this what I really want to do?" "Do I keep on giving this kind of lesson forever? Until I die?" "Am I proud of myself when I have a child?" The answer was clear. Of course, "NO".

    I think there're so many teachers like me. We have to criticize the current ESL education and at the same time, we have to tell teachers a wonderful way to learn English through tadoku. Why do we recommend it? You'll know if you keep reading this blog. You might know already. It's not easy for you to accept a new method because that means you have to deny what you have done in a sense. But this is a choice. Do you want to stick to the boring way or change yourself and become a teacher who can make your students much happier than ever?

    If you're a teacher like me, please leave a message anytime you want. Let's change the ESL education together with us, and make our children happier through English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CHABO-san, did you find nice furniture for you new endeavor?

    I've met quite a number of Japanese English teachers up to now, but I still don't understand why they have to cling to an old-fashioned-not-effective-but-tormenting ways of learning English. It's not healthy not only for students and teachers but also for the society.

    We're lucky we were able to come to know when the right time. If it were the beginning of your career, then you might not have believed my blazing, jumping^^; words, right?

    I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories from your classes and allure many teachers into a wonderful world of tadoku.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete