TAB 多読 -tadoku and beyond!-  

いっぱい読んでたっぷり聞けば、英語はかって出てきます!

  

2012/03/31

そこの雑誌さん、自分がどれだけ矛盾してるのか、わかってますか?

Okay, so today I'm going to write the post in English first and then translate the main message into Japanese. It's kind of free writing, that you keep writing for a certain period of time, say about 10 minutes, without stopping or correcting or anything to pull out your ideas or thoughts like warming yourself up before to do physical exercises. I strongly encourage you to try this out. I'm going to write about free writing some other time. Now it's about books I read the way home yesterday.

I often go check some new magazines about learning English at bookstores to keep up with the tread and I'm often stunned with its big number of similar kind of magazines and also annoyed, thinking if those who are making those magazines really think they can advice the way properly to learn English  and their readers would be able to use English as they claim. Who can be the target readers of those endlessly published tacky magazines?

Now, let me tell you how useless and inconsistent those magazines can be with an example from one of those I read yesterday.

There was a very wildly known professional user of English writing how he mastered English. Yes, he is great, truly amazing. But, I'm sorry to say that his way of learning English so great, marvelous that almost no one can do the same as he did. (BTW, he was talking about Tadoku and Tachou there, but I don't remember him saying anything about Tadoku&Tachou in his blog, so I thought even such a talented people cannot to be ignorant of the new waves of learning English.)

He says in his article that it has nothing to do with taking high scores in STEP or TOEIC that you can use English fluently. His claim is just right. I have no objections to it.

Then I turned the several pages and started to LOL, because there came many stories about how to get high scores in Shikaku Shiken, such as which textbooks you should tackle with to score more than 600 in TOEIC.

Ok, ok, so you, the magazine, recommend us to learn English not for taking tests but for using it, and at the same time, you want us to buy textbooks and study for tests. WOW, how unreasonable it can be! 

I'm not saying all the English learning magazines are like this and you shouldn't pour your precious money into buying it, but I'm afraid there is no particular magazines I can recommend here to help learn English by now. Am I just choosy and picky? Maybe that I'd like to take a word or two once with the people behind those magazines and find out what they're aiming at.

(↑ ちょっとの見直で表示していますから、突っ込みはご容赦くださいませ^^;;)

昨日帰り道で立ち読みした英語学習雑誌。これまた失笑ものでした。
どうしてかって?
特集の内容と他の記事が、てんで逆のメッセージを発信しているんですもの。

特集でとりあげてあったのが、とある英語界での大御所。
私と同じ大学出身だったような気がする。
すごいですよ、その学び方といったら。私にはぜったい真似できませんね。
というか、誰にも真似できないと思います。だからこそ、雑誌に登場するわけであって(笑)
記事の中には、多読・多聴という文字もありました。
えーっと、実はこの方のブログを読んでいた時期があるのですが、
その時には、多読・多聴のことなんて、一切書かれていなかった記憶がります。
やっぱり時流にのっておこう、でしょうかね。

ここで強調してあったことの一つが、資格試験やテストのために勉強していてはだめで、
もっと使うこと考えてやれってこと。これには大賛成。

と、ぱらぱらページをめくって先を読んでいったら、
なーんと、そこに出てきたのはTOEICで高得点を取るための参考書記事。
えー!ついさっき、資格試験に反対しておきならが、今度はテストに挑戦しろってか?!

とまあ、無責任な英語学習雑誌が棚を賑わせていますね。
すべての雑誌がこうだとは思いませんが、どうぞ皆様、偽物に惑わされないようにお気を付けくださいませ。
不安になったら、ここで相談もいいかもしませんよ!
(Writer: MrsMalone)
にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ
にほんブログ村  

No comments:

Post a Comment